600g chicken thighs/breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
2-3 spring onions, cut into 2 inch long pieces
5 slices ginger, peeled (size of pennies)
1 cup chestnuts
1 cup mushrooms, halved
3 tbsp dry sherry
1 1/2 tbsp honey
2 star anise
- Toss the chicken with 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce and leave to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large deep pan, add the spring onions and ginger and cook for a few minutes.
- Place the chicken in the pan, ensuring they are arranged in a single layer. Once browned on one side, turn the chicken and brown the other side.
- Add the remaining soy sauce, sherry, honey, star anise, mushrooms and 3/4 cup water. Mix well and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the chestnuts to the pan, mix, cover and simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
Recipe from Jeanette's Healthy Living